Welcome to Year 5 - Summer Term 2018 will have a Brazilian theme
There are two classes in Y5- 5M and 5P
Mr McClements and Mr Porter are both assisted by Ms B Jones as our TA.
(Check out the Photos of our "Stay & Learn" Day in December!)
Summer Term Learning
- English: We will be studying the book the "The Last Wild", which debate the effects humanity is having on our natural world.
- Our Cross Curricular Topic links to our reading as we will be studying the Amazon Basin and the country of Brazil, so get ready to Samba!
- We will be looking at the world of Ancient Greece in History after Half-Term.
- In Science we will be looking at Habitats and Living Things- the world of biology
Number: Decimals Solve problems involving number up to three decimal places. Multiply and divide whole numbers and those involving decimals by 10, 100 and 1000. Use all four operations to solve problems involving measure [ for example, length, mass, volume, money] using decimal notation, including scaling.
Geometry- Properties of Shapes and Angles Identify 3D shapes, including cubes and other cuboids, from 2D representations. Use the properties of rectangles to deduce related facts and find missing lengths and angles. Distinguish between regular and irregular polygons based on reasoning about equal sides and angles. Know angles are measured in degrees: estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles. Draw given angles, and measure them in degrees (o) Identify: angles at a point and one whole turn (total 360o), angles at a point on a straight line and ½ a turn (total 180o) other multiples of 90o Geometry- position and direction Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation, using the appropriate language, and know that the shape has not changed.
Measurement- converting units Convert between different units of metric measure [for example, km and m; cm and m; cm and mm; g and kg; l and ml] Understand and use approximate equivalences between metric units and common imperial units such as inches, pounds and pints. Solve problems involving converting between units of time. Measures Volume Estimate volume [for example using 1cm3 blocks to build cuboids (including cubes)] and capacity [for example, using water] Use all four operations to solve problems involving measure.
- In RE, we will be considering the Spiritual and Religious aspects and interpretations of "The Natural World", and what we consider "Precious"
- In PSHE, we shall as always, be "REACHing for the Stars."